CITY NEWS BLOG BASED IN ITALY:
UPGRADE AND DEVELOPMENT
We are an Italian Ngo publishing two of the most relevant city blogs based in North-Eastern Italy. We want to integrate them in one site and one brand, on a Wordpress platform. We encourage developers to suggest how to improve our project and what we are expecting from our idea of it. This idea is detailed in the following lines:
1) INTEGRATING TWO EXISTING CITY BLOGS AND THEIR TAGS/CATEGORIES
We want two existing blogs to be fully integrated in just one Wordpress installation. One is [url removed, login to view] , already running in Wordpress. The second is [url removed, login to view] , now in TypePad.
The new site must be running under the first of these two domains: the unique address will be [url removed, login to view]
The new site must organise all the existing contents of both sites, mainly on the base of geographical tags (this means we will use place-names within the Wordpress tags system).
Note that the already existing Wordpress site ([url removed, login to view] ) is already using Wordpress tags for indexing content on the base of place-names (and person-names, too). These tags should be preserved.
All of the posts of the old site in TypePad ([url removed, login to view] ), once integrated in Wordpress, should be indexed through the already existing TypePad categories ‘Gorizia’ and ‘Monfalcone e mandamento’ (these are the place-name to which these posts already refer to through TypePad categories).
We ask you also to update our current version of Wordpress to the latest.
2) HOMEPAGE OF THE NEW SITE
The home-page of the new Wordpress site should have the following features:
- Wordpress cms should be integrated with the html/css design that was already developed. Such design was uploaded here:
[url removed, login to view]
- Google Adsense advertising codes should be included as showed in this css/html
There are some particularities:
- 3 editorial focus should be selectable by the editors whenever needed. This should happen using 3 different specific Wordpress categories. Each of these categories indexes one focus and its place on the homepage. In the css/html design already developed, these places are already present in the upper central part of the screen, just below the advertising banner
- the image (now a photograph of a male face) in the upper-left side of the home-page should be managed by the editors. We think that this should be done calling one of the Wordpress widgets (but we are open to suggestions from the developers working on the project)
- all the contents appearing in the left column of the home-page (below that image) should appear there because they are indexed through Wordpress tags (these tags will be all about place-names: Trieste, Gorizia, Ljubljana, Litorale, Monfalcone, Carinzia, Udine). The entries in each specific table of this left column appear because they are labelled with the same tag of the title of the table. For example: the contents tagged with ‘Trieste’ will appear in the table named ‘Trieste’. These contents should appear in reverse chronological order
- a plugin that includes weather forecast should be integrated starting from a table in home-page (in the current html/css the table was left blank and it is in the right column, named as ‘spazio meteo’). The new website should include weather forecast for the following places: Trieste, Gorizia, Udine, Pordenone (these cities are in Italy); Koper (this is in Slovenia); Rijeka (this is in Croatia); Klagenfurt (this is in Austria). The weather forecast for these places should be integrated in the css/html theme of the site
All the standard features of Wordpress themes should be included. Among them:
- each title of entry which is linked from the home-page must have: the number of comments published on that article; this number should be linked to the anchor of the first comment
- each title of article which is linked in the central column of the home-page must have a text which is generated from the field ‘Excerpt’ of the ‘Add New Post’ backoffice of Wordpress
- the Wordpress search form, fully functioning
- the last comments published on the site, in reverse chronological order
- the last posts published on the forum of the site, in reverse chronological order
- all the titles of entries appearing on the central column should be published there because of a choice by the editors; this means they are indexed with a specific Wordpress category
- all the contents on the left column should be published by the editors through the Wordpress widgets; last comments and forum posts are the exception
- once the editor is logged-in and as in standard Wordpress themes, all the entries appearing on the homepage (and wherever on the site) should have a link besides them; this link allows the editor to edit the related entry in the Wordpress backoffice, bringing the clicker to the related backoffice page
3) PAGES OF THE BLOG ENTRIES
Every ‘article’ and ‘page’ of the site should be integrated with the html/css design already developed. Such design is uploaded here:
[url removed, login to view]
Google Adsense advertising codes should be included as in this css/html
Every ‘page’ and ‘article’ in the front-office should have the standard features of Wordpress. Among them:
- time (day and hour/minute/seconds) of when the entry was published
- name of the author
- all the tags which have been related to that article
- the logged-in editor should be allowed to edit quickly every entry (‘article’ or ‘page’) through a quicklink on the frontoffice
- the comments from users need to be recognised by the cms as follows (and as in Wordpress standard features): comments from logged-in users; users who have been already recognised by the editors; new users.
- the logged-in editors of the site should be allowed to quickly edit all the comments through a quicklink
- as in the html/css provided ([url removed, login to view] ), the right sidebar publishes: all the link to last comments on the site; the last entries (‘articles’ or ‘pages’) published on the site; a form ‘SEND US YOUR NEWS’ (‘Segnala’, see below); the last entries from the forum
- the form ‘SEND US YOUR NEWS’ ( ‘Segnala’) has the following featurs: the fields ‘Name’ (‘Il tuo nome’); ‘Your email’ (Il tuo e-mail); an anti-spam check (not present now in the html/css);
4) CITY HOME-PAGES
Beside the general main home-page, there are ‘minor’ city home-pages. These cities are (the same appearing on the homepage): Trieste, Gorizia, Ljubljana, Litorale, Monfalcone, Carinzia, Udine.
These homepages should be using html/css design already developed. Such design is uploaded here:
[url removed, login to view]
Two tables in the upper part of the screenshot should be manageable from the editors through Wordpress widgets. These tables in our html/css are that names ‘Cosa succede?’ and the other is that comics-ballon-like.
They should integrate Google Adsense as in the design above.
The right sidebar should include:
- a link ‘Make this page your home-page’
- the weather forecast (as now, in the table ‘spazio meteo’)
- last published comments on the entries tagged with the related place-names of this homepage (for example: ‘Trieste’ or ‘Gorizia’, etc.)
- last entries of the forum
- last entries from all of the site
- a table which can be edited (in free html) through the widgets of Wordpress
These homepages should have all the standard Wordpress features. That is, for example:
- all the contents related to a place-name (= tagged with it) should appear in its related homepage, in reverse chronological order
- besides every title of entry, there is the clickable number of comments and the excerpt, taken from the field ‘Excerpt’ of the backoffice
- old contents should be reachable through a link ‘old entries’, pointing to the previous entries
4) GUIDELINES ON HEADER, FOOTER AND ON THE CREATION OF ANOTHER COUPLE OF PAGES
- All the contents of the footers and the different headers of the site should be manageable by the editors ( that means by non-developers)
- A separate page is made by the ‘tag page’: here are present all the existing tags, represented through a tag cloud; every tag is clickable and brings the user to the page with all the contents indexed with that tag.
- A separate page is made by the ‘authors page’: here are listed all the authors, with their picture, a short bio and the list of their entries (point of reference is: [url removed, login to view]).
- Every entry (‘article’ or ‘page’) shows the author of it. The name of the author is linked to a separate page where are published: his/her name and surname; short bio; profile picture; list of clickable titles of articles, each of them pointing to the page of every single article
- The theme used by separate pages (tags; all authors; single author; search; weather) should be that of the city homepages but with standard header and no tables managed through widgets
5) INTEGRATION OF OUR WORDPRESS SITE WITH BBPRESS
Html/css theme for the forum in Bbpress will be provided before the project starts.
All the standard features of Bbpress should be included.
Moreover, we need the following feature:
- user authentication and login/logoff should be the same of Wordpress. This also means that once a user logs-in the Wordpress site, he/she does not need to log-in again in Bbpress
We ask you a good caching strategy for pages and images delivery, in order to save bandwidth and workload on servers.