Shoes Asia Pte Ltd is a well-known shoe making company that has presence in Singapore,
Thailand, Vietnam and Japan. After 10 years of successful operation, the business suddenly hit a
dead-end because their competitors, with their converged IP networks and IT savvy staff, were
making more profits and operating at less cost. Having no choice but to jump into IT, they
approach you, a Network consultant, to help them design a network that could support their
The existing setup of Shoe Asia is as follows:
• They have an office building in Singapore, their HQ office, and the staff strength here is
the highest with 500 staff.
• Network points already installed by contractor – 100 points on each floor; except 1st floor
which has only 10 points.
• Total PCs recently bought to serve HQ needs – 400 desktop PCs and 100 notebooks
• The following are the number of staff on each floor
o 6th floor – HR Asia – 69 staff
o 5th floor – Finance Asia - 68 staff
o 4th floor – Marketing and Sales Asia – 135 staff
o 3rd floor – Product Management Asia – 100 staff
o 2nd floor – Shoes Research and Developement Asia – 120 staff
o 1st floor – Reception and meeting room – 10 staff
• The company has 3 other branch offices overseas have no connection back to the HQ and
communication is only by telephone or snail mail:
- Thailand – 30 staff
- Vietnam – 20 staff
- Japan – 20 staff
Shoe Asia’s requirements as follows:
1. They want an IP network to be created to connect all their sites. Appropriate VLSM
should be adopted, VLANs must be configured and viable routing protocols must be
configured. You may use the private address range of 172.16.0.0/16 for assigning address
for within the LAN. NAT is thus necessary if the users want access outside their LAN.
You may use the public IP range of 126.96.36.199/24 for external links. All LAN
addresses to the PCs should be given through DHCP.
2. Shoe Asia wants to be able to take online sales orders and thus they require a web server
which could be connected to an ISP to reach the internet. This web server would house
their company website, their range of shoes and a shopping cart. (design of shopping cart
is not necessary but a simple web page should be created). Appropriate SNAT should be
used from the given public range.
3. They want to communicate and co-ordinate with their branch sites using Email services.
A Mail server should be setup to serve their requirement. You may use the domain name
4. In line with the converged network concept (i.e. voice, video and data taking the same
network infrastructure), Shoe Asia wants to implement IP Phones and use the new
network to make calls within the company. Each employee with a PC will get an IP
Phone instead of the normal analogue phone to make calls.
5. The Japan branch is the most technically advanced Shoe Asia site. So the company wants
to try out the implementation of IPv6 in this site. The LAN (i.e. PCs, routers) in this site
should operate with IPv6 addressing, routing and services.
You are required to produce an enterprise network project proposal (report) which covers the
following networking areas:
1. Network design (Include Schematic layout in visio)
2. WAN technology used (explain with reason)
3. IP addressing strategy (VLSM table)
4. Security strategy (how you would secure your nw, firewall, portsec?)
5. Switches/routers selection (how many routers/floor and switches/floor, note the ports)
6. Wireless recommendation on each floor (how many APs etc)
7. Servers (Services need to run?)
8. Backup strategy (for the servers and links)
9. Network Management system
10. Total Budget(Fixed cost of equipment for all sites)
Further to the report, a working packet tracer file should be submitted.