1) Clearly identify the lab/area that you will be working in.
2) A map/floor plan of the area indicating the presence of all different parts of the area including (if present) benches, fume cupboards, chemical storage, gas cylinders, doors etc. You need to indicate where possible a complete layout of all parts of the room.
3) Document as many of the hazards that you can find. For each hazard that you find you need to assess the risks that you find in terms of both likelihood and consequence, determine control measures that need to be put in place. Use Snet as your guide for risk assessments and determination of the correct control measures. (see attached table as example of the format).
4) Document as many of the controls that you can find in the area. For each control you need to document the hazards/risks controlled by it and how it is used. Use Snet as your guide for use of controls.
5) Draw up an action plan for corrective actions for the problems that you find in the laboratory.
6) Overall summation/conclusions that you reach about the work area.