Project Management Case Study for Training Program
Write and produce an original case study to support a multi-day project management training workshop to participants in a classroom setting. Specific details of the case study follow:
1. General Requirements:
Provide a narrative of initial case study background information that includes realistic information about a public or private organization (organization name, type, function or type of business, types of products and/or services, how they are organized, customers they serve). Provide details of numbers of people in the organization and other relevant information to further characterize the organization. Provide information that suggests the organization is attempting to improve as a result of its strategic planning and intends to initiate several projects. Identify one of those projects that is being approved and funded. The project should be one that any layperson can grasp that doesn’t require expertise in a particular area. Some possible scenarios could be an organization moving to another physical location, creation of a new department or division within an organization, construction of an addition to an existing building, or some other project idea. Build the case study by answering each of the requirements below to create a series of exercises that evolve the case study scenario. The scenario will simulate that is project is going through stages of planning, execution and closing.
2. Specific Requirements
Provide information about the people selected to be involved in the project (Project Sponsor, Project Manager, Project Team members, and other relevant stakeholders)
Using the scenario, create the exercises outlined below. Each exercise should include the following:
• Narrative information to set up the exercise, as necessary
• Specific details of what must be accomplished during the exercise
• Solutions to the exercises (narrative discussion, charts, diagrams, matrices, etc.)
1. Show the creation of a project charter with the relevant information.
2. Create a scope statement that uses the information from the project charter to provide additional details.
3. Create a project plan template with some initial information that requires students to fill in that information as they complete other project planning activities.
4. Create a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) that accurately identifies the major components of work broken down into smaller levels of work until they are small enough to be assigned to a person or organizational unit.
5. Create an exercise that requires students to develop an activity list project network diagram that sequences the work.
6. Create an exercise to have participants identify types of resources (people, material and equipment) for the project, as well estimate the amount of resources need. Create cost data that details what each unit of resources cost.
7. Create an exercise to create a budget using the resource and other data created in the scenario.
8. Create a risk planning exercise to have participants plan for risks in the project.
9. Create an exercise to show how the project is progressing. Write in the scenario an undesirable project performance in cost, schedule and/or technical performance that participants must respond to.
10. Create an exercise that shows the project ends and indicates closing activities that must be accomplished.
3. Other Requirements
It is preferred that the case study be done in MS Word 2007, but MS Word 2003 is acceptable.
Graphics and charts may be created in the appropriate application (MS PowerPoint, MS EXCEL)
A separate solutions section will be created that will contain all answers to the exercises.
Once this project is completed, I will own all rights to this material.