Due: 27 June 2009
Words: Approximately 5,500
You are the marketing manager for a medium size computer company (hypothetical company). Your firm buys components from other suppliers, assembles computers using those components, and then markets the computers directly to small businesses using print advertising, telephone sales and direct mail. One of the keys to your firm's success is that the company has developed its own software packages. The software works with existing products like those marketed by Microsoft, but provides extra applications for small businesses, independent contractors, professional specialist like doctors and lawyers, and so forth.
Your CEO wants to begin a slow expansion into foreign markets (developing country). She believes that an English speaking country would be the best bet to start as to minimise language difficulties. Her idea is to locate an existing company in one of those countries that also sells computers and discuss with its management the idea of a strategic alliance. Your firm would modify its existing software for the foreign market and provide it to your partner (a real company) in exchange for the partners agreeing to help you market your computers there as well.
With this information as context,
1. Identify two (2) potential country's for your internationalization excercise.
2. Lean as much as possible about government regulations in each of the countries that (a) may affect your business and (b) may affect the relative attractiveness of each market.
3. Use the information gathered above, select a market for entry.
4. Identify potential strategic partner(s) in the country you have chosen to enter. provide sound justification for your choice.
5. Indicate an appropriate management structure for your business in the host country.
6. Prepare a preliminary international business plan using the report format given below: -
i) Executive Summary
iii)List of charts/figure/tables (if applicable)
- Introduction of the firm
- Introduction of the Product
- Purpose of the report
2.0) Country Analysis (2 countries)
- PEST analysis
3.0) Selection of Country (provide justification)
- Why select this country?
4.0) Entry Mode (provide justification)
- Choose and describe the strategic alliances.
5.0) Partner Selection (provide justification)
- Who is the partner (real company) and why?
6.0) Management Structure of the new entity (Your company + Partner)
7.0) SWOT Analysis
- SWOT analysis for the new entity in the host market
8.0) Industry Analysis
- Host country
9.0) Demand Analysis (optional)
10.0)Competitor Analysis (optional)
13.0)Sustainable Strategic Advantage in the given market
- Developing strategies/ability to sustain the business in the market
14.0)Business Strategy (Porter's Generic Strategy could be used)
15.0) Functional Strategies
15.2)Marketing (Marketing Mix Strategy) 4 P’s
15.3)Finance (Provide a Pro forma Statement for 3 years)
15.4)Manufacturing (If you are manufacturing in host country)
16.0) Control Framework
- State key KPI’s need to be achieved.
- Describe how you are going to manage your business
17.0) Uncertainties (1 paragraph)
- Describe the possible future uncertainties e.g. partnership conflicts
18.0) Contingencies (1 paragraph)
- In the case where uncertainties arise
19.0) Conclusion (1 paragraph)
- Where you want to see the company in the future (Vision)
iv)Glossary (if applicable)
v)Appendices (if applicable)