TASK PREAMBLE: During this unit of work you have been focusing on the written text of the novel Fahrenheit 451 and, in part, examining how it reflects notions of control and authority. Many literature fans would argue that these Dystopian concepts have become reality in the contemporary world.
YOUR TASK: In light of the current popularity of Dystopian texts, you decide to write a feature article based around this idea that our reality is dominated by control and/or authority. In order to make it topical and interesting for readers you decide to use, as your main reference sources, aspects of the novel Fahrenheit 451 and a variety of contemporary media products. Your article is to raise your readers’ awareness of the selected contemporary topic by examining and evaluating the ways in which it is represented in the selected texts.
• Develop an angle or central idea which you will use to present your perspective on the topic. Negotiate/discuss your idea with your teacher. Some broad suggestions include:
- Bureaucratic control
- Political control
- Privacy versus security
- Technological control
- Social control
• You MUST include:
- at least 3 direct examples from the text of Fahrenheit 451 to illustrate your perspective on the topic – eg decide which characters, themes, values and attitudes support your angle
- at least 1 contemporary factual media source (eg a news report, magazine article, television current affairs program, internet source – it must have been published in the last 5 years) which also illustrates or supports your angle, and
- at least 1 fictitious source such as a film, television program or novel which also supports your angle
- quote from at least 1 “expert” on the topic in order to support your perspective.
- a title for your article which reflects its content
- ONE appropriate picture/graphic to complement the content of your article.
Remember to present your article in an appropriate formatted style (columns, headline, lead-in, byline).