A recommender system helps people to select items that may interest theme among a long list of choices. These items could be restaurants, songs, books, tv series, movies, etc.
The project aims to implement a web application for movies and TV series. Three main actors are involved in the application: the user, the administrator and the recommender system.
The user features to be implemented are the following:
- Sign Up/ Sign In/ Sign out and password management (password resetting process)
- Ask the system to recommend a list of movies or TV series. The user should indicate some criteria including the apparition year, the gender and the casting as well as the recommended list size. This feature requires the user to be signed in.
- Search a movie or a TV series and rate it from 1 to 5 and/or add a comment about it. This feature requires the user to be signed in.
- Add a new movie or a TV series (details + poster) with a rate and a comment. It should be approved by the administrator to appear to other users. This feature requires the user to be signed in.
The administrator features are:
- Sign in/ Sign out (he has a default password)
- Validate movies/TV series added by users
- Add new movies/TV series details (including ratings) to the database. A bonus will be given for automatic import of public movies/series datasets into the database
- Schedule the running of recommender system process (for example once each day at midnight)
The recommender system is an independent process that runs periodically as scheduled by the administrator. It does the steps explained in the following link (also attached as pdf):
[login to view URL]
It gets the input dataset from the database (not from the dataset as explained in the link) and put the estimated rates back to the database to be able to generate recommendations for users when asked