I need a tutor.
** ONLY in the Orange County (Southern California, USA) area. DO NOT CONTACT ME if you don't LIVE, for real, in Southern California.
You must have experience actually building and running adult paysites, including the credit card billing, affiliates, content management systems, security, SEO, PHP/MySQL, and related things.
I have a few "adult" websites, none of which are paysites, although I'd like to turn some of them into paysites. By day I'm an I.T. professional so I do know my way around a computer! I have used Flash templates to create Flash-based websites, as well as HTML/cgi websites of course. I pick up things very fast, although I do like a thorough explanation of things so that I know that I "really" know it.
My problem is, that I never learned the specifics of some of the aspects of running an adult paysite (or maybe I know 99% of what I need to know to do some things, but just haven't connected the dots in my mind, I don't know). I would like to know what it would take to have you teach me these things. I cannot afford to hire you on as the person to DO these things ongoing, I can only afford (if you're reasonable!) to have you tutor me in these things, and then I'll have to do them as I have time. If I enjoy our tutoring sessions, I'll keep coming back for more, and having a relationship with someone with my other skills and assets might be beneficial to both of us! Who knows, if my sites take off, maybe I COULD hire you, or at least help get you other work. In-person is obviously better for communication, and to point to the screen and say "what about that", but I'm open to your ideas about how you could teach me these things.
Some things right off the top of my head that I'd want to learn are:
- How to set things up to accept credit card auto-rebilling capability (how to CODE it into the site, and also about the PROCESSING COMPANIES - how they do what they do, how I set it up, pitfalls to avoid, which ones are best and the best value, options for support through them, etc.).
- Content management systems. I have a dedicated server that I host all of my sites from. I have "Plesk" to control the domains, get into MySQL, handle mail accounts, etc. I don't have a CMS in place there for any site, but would like to know if there are any good free ones, or any for under $200 that would make my life a lot easier. I certainly don't want to have to write HTML each time I want to update pic sets, and I know a CMS should make that a cinch.
- How video works in a paysite (which format is best, possibly how to do pay-per-view but certainly in a paysite!)
- How to keep the site "secure" so that only paid users can get in. I know that there is this ".htaccess" thing, but I don't know exactly how it works, or if it is the preferred method today.
- The basics of SEO (I know this is an art and science in and of itself, so I don't expect to become an expert, but an overview would be nice).
- Marketing strategies
I could probably learn many of these things by scouring the internet and reading how-to docs, but I'd rather just bust it out and learn, and learn from a real person with some real experience to tell me those things only a person can think to add. I want to find somebody with actual adult-industry website experience, because there are probably some industry-specific things to know as well.