I am looking at building a web-based tool to enable translations of subtitles. The basic features include the following:
1. Uploading of a subtitle file (see attached for format) in main language (usually English) for translation as well as a video file the subtitle should be displayed on top of.
2. Subtitle translation window in a triple split view, there is a split view for the original language and the language you are translating to as well as the video playing beside it so you can always see the parts of the video you are currently translating. Each subtitle is an input field, you can write into and there should be pagination after 50 input fields to not have too much speed issues. Edits should be saved instantly via AJAX.
3. User Access Setup, so i can give individual translators a login under which they can then only translate the subtitle into their target language. They can not touch the timecodes of the subtitles and they can't change the source subtitle or anything similar.
4. Video preview should enable the translators to constantly see if what he has translated is matching the video. When everything is done his work can be marked as final, which triggers an e-mail to a pre-configured e-mail adress.
5. Interface to download the finished subtitles, create projects, upload the video and subtitle file, configure languages, users, permissions etc.
Those are the basic features. Just to sum up the idea to make it clear what the system needs to be able to in the end:
I create a video with english subtitles. I upload both video and subtitles in a pre-configured format (subtitle format see attached, video format can be defined). I setup my 10 target languages (anything from Arabic to Russian), create users that will do the translation and send them access to the system. They then login, see the video in english, see the subtitles, translate the subtitles through the system, preview it, approve it. I then download all the final subtitle files and compose the subtitles in a DVD Authoring program.
One last very very important thing. The whole system needs to be UTF8 compliant, because of Arabic, Chinese etc.