Instruction Character Set conversion
We’re running a corporate website that’s localised into 42 languages throughout Europe, including languages such as UK English, Albanian, French, Russian, Greek, and Arabic.
The website was once setup for only Western Europe; The default ISO-8859-1 character set was sufficient. Throughout the years however, several modifications have been implemented, several languages added, and now we’re stuck with a multi-characterset environment:
- MySQL 4 database default characterset converted from ISO-8859-1 to UTF8-unicode-ci
- We have several tables with default characterset UTF8-unicode-ci
- We have some fields in these tables still with character set ISO-8859-1
- The default characterset of the webserver (Apache 2.x) is UTF8
- The database collation converted from ISO-8859-1 to UTF8
- The browser character set varying between ISO-8859-1, UTF8 and Windows-1251
- Various scripts consider the data handled to be ISO-8859-1, some other scripts dealing with UTF-8 data.
Anyway to make a long story short: We’ve got character set issues.
What we need is a unified characterset throughout the entire application, ranging from database, database connection, webserver, PHP to, finally, the actual data. All texts, names and descriptions in the 42 languages used on the website should be checked for current character set, and if necessary converted into UTF-8. If you know your way around all these aspects, please make a bid.
We expect you to build the and implement the uniform caharacter set plus to add, check and if need be correct the data fields to be visible in the right way.
Since a lot of communication will be needed, we prefer to communicate through MSN adn Skype once we have agreed on the project.
•Mysql [url removed, login to view]
•Apache [url removed, login to view]