Subject : Enterprise Networking
[url removed, login to view] - 5 days to complete
2. Equipment: 3 PCs / laptops connected in the same LAN.
3. Software needed for this assignemnt: MS word, Visio, Packet tracer 5.0, MS project.
4. Create a group folder using your group members names for submission.
- Report Softcopy in MS word
- Visio vsd files if any
- Packet tracer files (tested and working)
- PowerPoint ppt that is used for your presentation
5. Presentation is 15 mins for each group. Every student must present.
You are required to produce an enterprise network project proposal (report) which covers the
following networking areas:
1. Network design (Include Schematic layout)
2. WAN technology (Include Schematic layout)
3. IP addressing strategy
4. Security strategy
5. Switches/routers selection
6. Cablings/wireless recommendation
7. Servers (Services need to run)
8. Operating system and application software recommendation
9. Backup strategy (for the servers)
10. Enterprise-level Firewall recommendation
11. PC hardware recommendation
12. Network Management
13. Detailed Implementation Schedule
14. Total Budget(Monthly and Fixed cost)
Your presentation and report should also include rationale for your selection. For hardware
selections, you should also include the hardware model used. For software, versions
recommended should be stated.
Megamix Solutions is a 450 person E-Commerce company and has 1 office in Singapore to
support its entire operations. Out of the 450 staff, 50 staff are stationed overseas. Currently in
Singapore, Magamix subscribes to a leased line connection from its ISP (internet services
provider) with 2 static IPs. One static IP is for VPN purpose so that its tele-workers can VPN
into the company when they are on mobile and the other static IP currently configured to
SNAT to its old mail (port 25) and web (port 80) servers.
Recently, the company decides to expand its operations by hiring another 100 Singapore
employees and house all the Singapore employees in a newly purchased building in Toa
Payoh. The company will be organized into the following division to support the activities in
Asia: Human Resource Asia, Finance Asia, Marketing & Sales Asia, Quality Asia, Sourcing
Asia, R&D Asia , IT Asia and Product Management Asia.
1. New total staff strength in Singapore office – 500 office staff
2. Network points already installed by contractor – 100 points on each floor; except 1st floor
which has only 10 points.
3. Total PC – 400 desktop PCs and 100 notebooks (using existing equipment)
4. The following are the number of staff in each floor (floor space of 80 x 60m)
8th floor – HR Asia – 50 staff
7th floor – Finance Asia - 50 staff
6th floor – Marketing and Sales Asia – 75 staff
5th floor – Marketing and Sales Asia – 75 staff
4th floor – store room
3rd floor – IT Asia – 30 Staff
3rd floor – Product Management Asia – 90 staff
2nd floor – R&D Asia – 120 staff
1st floor – Reception and meeting room – 10 staff
&#61623; The riser is located at one corner of the building.
The company has 2 other branch offices overseas as such:
- China, Chengdu – Quality Asia – 30 staff
- India, Mumbai – Sourcing Asia – 20 staff
Due to economic uncertainty, the Megamix’s management has asked you (the Network
project manager) to lower the overall long-term cost of the company’s network and inform
you that out of the 500 Singapore office staff, 100 Singapore staff will be tele-working from
home every Friday via VPN into the company’s network.
You are considering the following measures when implementing the new network:
- Change the Singapore office’s leased line to a corporate broadband based line
(dynamic IP subscription) from the ISP for internet access since most of the
company’s network traffic is outgoing traffic.
- Since the 2 servers are already old, take up space and not energy efficient, you are
considering to buy a new rack mount server (to run both services on each virtual
machine) and co-locate it outside the company at a NOC (network operation
Cisco Project – lamww 3
- Change the Singapore office’s leased line to a corporate SDSL broadband based
line from the ISP since most of the company’s network traffic is outgoing traffic
- Buy and install a new rack mount server (to run both services on each virtual
machine) to replace the 2 old servers. (Same location).
The company has 2 private leased lines from another ISP to Chengdu and Mumbai branches
respectively and there is no need for network changes to the branch offices at the moment.
Use a suitable routing protocol (OSPF, EIGRP or RIP2) to propagate the routes among the 3
To demonstrate your new solution to the management, you will use packet tracer 5.0 to do up
a simulation of you’re the new company network. Use 3 PCs for the packer tracer multi-users
functions to simulate the the Singapore HQ network, the Chengdu network, the Mumbai
network, the tele-worker network and NOC network (if using server co-location service).
The management has given to you a budget of S$50,000 for the network implementation and
S$250,000 for the PCs and Laptops. Besides the network setup cost, the management is also
concerned about the overall electrical running cost of the routers, switches and servers. They
are requesting a summary table of the monthly costs of leaving this equipment powered-on 24
hrs a day. (to calculate kilo-watt-hour cost, see reference)
Some references you may need:
1. [url removed, login to view]
2. [url removed, login to view]
3. [url removed, login to view]
4. [url removed, login to view]