1. You will working with Mike remotely. Mike is the person who runs the server.
2. E B S is the company who has an application called E B S running on the server who requested the upgrade.
We need our SQL server upgraded to 2008 from 2005. 2008 is installed, but the db is running in a SQL 2005 instance. We have included some info from EBS However there is one small error. E B S stated that Michael started the install. This is not correct, Michael merely downloaded the upgrade file and left it on the desktop. We have included the email from E B S below.
----Here is the email from E B S------------------
Looks like your IT team started downloading SQL 2008 R2 and installing on the LIVE server. First of all this is not recommended to just update LIVE server unless having proper plan as there will be downtime.
Anyways, below are the instructions from Microsoft on how to create new SQL 2008 R2 Instance. Let’s make sure someone who is competent in SQL – do the upgrade.
1. Take a EZ-Track database backup first
2. Upgrade the server to 2008 R2
3. Restore the database on 2008 R2
__________________________EBS email ends here_____________________________________________
This server is also hosting Exchange, OWA and B E S (B E S is in a VM). These 3 services must be available after the upgrade. It us also hosting SQL Server 2005 and 2008. The DB needs to run in 2008 and not 2005 as it is now.
The server is Microsoft Server 2003 64 bit.