Part-time account exec needed for startup graphic design studio - small salary plus commission. Serious applicants only please.
I am a graphic designer with over 15 years of professional experience. I was educated at The University of Arizona and North Carolina State University. I am trying to start a graphic design business. I am giving the "outsourcing" trend a try to see if I can effectively get new design projects through an actual account executive.
This is a part-time, home-based, virtual graphic design firm, based remotely from Phoenix, Arizona with the potential of physical relocation to Austin, Texas within a year if the economy rebounds and business grows.
The firm is generally full-service with an emphasis on corporate identity/branding, print advertising and possibly web design as an added service (which will also be outsourced), but not the main function. The style of design has a basic foundation in minimalist, modernist, grid and typography-driven methodology.
Here's what I need:
A virtual inside sales person/account executive with a minimum of 2-3 years experience who will be responsible for bringing new business to this emerging firm. I prefer to have as a client base small business owners, state agencies and/or entrepreneurs starting up new firms - existing contacts a plus but not required.
Would prefer US-based clients but will also gladly accept clients from anywhere in the world so long as they are seeking and wanting an American designer to work on their projects (for far less cost than the major New York and California-based branding and design agencies).
- You need to be able to converse by voice with clients. (Ability to call on customers in person, while NOT a requirement by any means, is a tremendous plus and would be greatly appreciated if at all possible!)
- You are the face and voice of this firm to potential businesses and organizations, so you must like my design style and think there is a market for it. You may have outside committments, but should also be able and willing to devote 12-15 hours per week to this purpose.
- You should have a friendly, calm, engaging and respectful demeanor, with experience in cold calling, lead generation and business-to-business contact. Previous experience welcome but not mandatory in the fields: keyword research, online marketing, link building, article writing, data entry, virtual assistant, secretary.
- You should be a self-starter, organized, self-contained, goal oriented and motivated. You should have an excellent knowledge and comfort level with using the Internet and WWW. Skype account a very big plus as I will be getting Skype soon.
- Your mastery of the English language in writing and speaking must be excellent, with understanding of California/Texas dialects and accents especially helpful.
- Working hours are 100 percent at your discretion based on your availability and schedule. I just ask that you devote a minimum of 12 hours per five-day workweek. My availability is generally evenings and weekends Arizona time (GMT-7:00). You are NOT required to be available at the same time I am. I do have a full-time job currently during daytime hours which I will resign if earnings from this venture are adequate.
- I reserve full and complete discretion to not accept assignments that would not be worthwhile or beneficial based on my selection criteria, which will be provided to you when you begin this project.
- I will need weekly updates of your activities and progress via e-mail.
- I would prefer working with individuals rather than firms - if you are a firm and feel you can provide these services, please submit a detailed proposal rather than a resumé.
I will provide a basic script to say to potential clients, which you may adjust at your discretion. I will design and produce all initial sales materials/samples you will need, and we can discuss how they will be distributed to you (generally via PDF). I would expect customers to be directed to my portfolio website.
Compensation will begin at a base salary of US$100/month plus 20 percent commission on completed projects. This will be a six-month trial commitment. If all goes well the period will be extended with a base salary increase.
Previous graphic design, advertising, and/or commercial printing sales experience appreciated but not a requirement. 2-3 professional references strongly preferred.
We need, as our clients, people that believe in my way of thinking, problem-solving and creating, as well as people who understand and accept my informal, relaxed way of doing business and relating to them. I do not want 50 clients in the first year. Just 8-10 (maximum) excellent ones that we LOVE to do the best possible work for. These businesses will prosper with our solutions and we will prosper with them as our clients, as this success will attract other customers to us.
Are you still interested? Still reading?
How this will work:
We will work on a virtual basis, mainly over the web (I have a webcam and my own Macintosh), e-mail and by telephone (I will be getting a Skype account within the next 15-30 days).
As the senior designer, I will be based in Phoenix and, if all goes well, relocate to Austin by first quarter 2010 at the latest.
If you are interested after all this, please submit a cover letter and resumé/CV. I will review it, and if I am interested, I will follow up with you.
Thank you in advance for your interest!