ok so heres the issue. this app was working just finem it functioned as desired, it downloaded and install to anyone and everyone of our customers phone and all was good.
i havent tried to download this app on a phone since covid hit back in february. i recently got a new phone and needed to re-download this app, since its enterprise app its not on the app store. so it has to manually be downloaded.
i tried that on two different phones and "Unable to install" is the message. But it doesnt say that until the very end. If you look on the phone it appears to be installing just like any other app would, but then when it nears completion, is when i get that message. the only thing that has changed is my hosting company-
i moved hosts, also i let the enterprise account expire (i renewed it though), and also there are a couple of profiles on the account that have expiration dates of april 2020. please tell me what you need in order to look into what the issue could be. its not any coding, its gonna be something simple, like reneweing those profiles or something, but i dont know if enterprise apps rely on those in order to install.
You will need to fix this problem in order to get funded. This is something simple that can be fixed in less than an hour. so bid accordingly.