I currently have a VDS which hosts 5 websites spanning 3 separate businesses (two of the businesses have separate websites for desktop and mobile). These sites run on a Windows Server (2016) and also use a MSSQL Web Edition database. I am currently paying around USD$275 per month for this server, which is way too much, as I have found servers with similar specs that cost around USD$70-$90. However my current server is managed, so things like security, patches and backups are all handled.
As my client-base is Australian, I prefer my server to be located in Australia, so I have shortlisted a bunch of VPS hosting companies (without yet choosing one).
* What I need is someone who can help migrate the 5 websites (4 x .NET apps, one is classic ASP), plus the MSSQL databases they use, to the VPS host I select. Other tasks include:
* Setting up around 10 email addresses.
* Implementing nightly backups for MSSQL, and keeping around 14 consecutive days of backups before deleting them
* Creating FTP logins for all 5 websites so my developer can download/upload code
* Ensuring all DNS entries at my domain host are updated and resolving to the new VPS
* Setting up a firewall / enterprise level security to minimise the chance of being hacked
* Implementing other necessary security to avoid things like DDOS attacks
* Providing connection strings to the databases, so I can connect via SQL Server Management Studio, and the developer can update the connections to make the code work.
(MONTHLY ONGOING TASKS)
* Ensuring patches are applied to the O/S
* Ensuring the backups are working
* Setting up alerts to monitor the status of the server and applications, and alerting me of any issues that might arise.
This will be a low-maintenance job. Now and then I will make a request, such as to help setup a new email address, and there may be a new website coming soon which I'll need help setting up with the above tasks.
My offer is $USD1,000 to do all the one-off tasks above. Following that, I propose we negotiate an hourly rate for ad-hoc tasks, but I can offer you a minimum of 1 hour per month, regardless of whether there is any work to do or not. The sites have been running for 10+ years, and have barely required more than 1 hour's work per 3 months for the server administrator, if the sites are setup and running smoothly, it will be a very low-maintenance job, and easy monthly income.
I realise that we all need to sleep, however highly desirable would be someone who could provide 24 hours support for emergency cases where the site went down, and needed a restart. Perhaps if you could offer a backup support person to contact while you sleep, so that there was never the case where the site was down for 8 hours, with customers unable to access their account. Even if this involved me receiving alerts and training me what to do, I don't care, as long as there are systems in place. If this can't be achieved, then at MINIMUM I need someone who is always on standby from 7am to 7pm ACST Australian time (UTC +9.5 hours), and will be responsible enough to ensure that there are systems in place for any days you are on vacation.
Please let me know as much information as possible about you in terms of experience with Windows Server, migrating .NET applications, copying and backing up MSSQL databases, implementing security, and how we can achieve 24 hour help in case the site goes down, or if you can't, at least confirmation you'll be available at a moment's notice from 7am - 7pm ACST.