Statement of Need...
It is common for educators to work in settings that feel isolating, with limited time for collegial,
collaborative conversations during the day. Additionally, professional development
opportunities are often limited to a select (and pre-set) number of days in the calendar year.
This leaves educators alone to respond to their day-to-day thoughts, ideas, reflections and
Educators want/need other educational experts with whom they can discuss a variety of topics; including, instructional planning, building positive classroom culture, engaging family and community members, continuing to grow professionally and for reflecting on day-to-day, school-based interactions in a timely manner.
This team chat app (WyChat) will provide the platform for educators and mentors to provide virtual support in real-time.
How this app will function...
When a user first opens the app, they will have the option to:
1. Register and supply the following information:
c. School Level (elementary, secondary, higher ed)
d. Subject-area (math, ELA, science, social studies, language, arts, music, drama)
e. Region in United States (Northwest, West, Southwest, South, Southeast, East,
Northeast, Midwest, Upper Midwest, Outside USA)
2. The user should also have the option to bypass registration and go straight to the chat
topics for the first time, to send a message or chat with a professional mentor. Any
subsequent contact will require the user to register.
Main screen will have three options
• WyChat of the Week
• WyChat NOW
• Create an Account / Login
• This app will only allow a 1-on-1 chat option with a professional mentor.
• No group chat or group video chat option needed.
• The app should be able to delete a text message history at a set interval.
1. The chat will have the following options as the topics for the users to choose to chat
about when they click on “WyChat”
o Teaching and Learning
o Threatening Inequity
o Engaging the Community
o Building Relationships
o Reflecting on Practice