Fix some pesky problems with WordPress site. Explain to me how you fixed these things. If you do well, this could start an ongoing relationship where I pay you to help me with various problems like this. Good English communication is a MUST. Ability to talk by phone or Skype required. Here are the problems I need fixed ASAP:
1. My logo has disappeared from the upper left of the site—to the left of the menu. The logo is [login to view URL] It needs to be a link that clicks back to the home page https://www.gmsa.org.
2. Protected content is not working right. We want a single username and password that can Sign in. All the members of our organization share this so they can access private info like a personnel directory, birthday calendar, and other internal information. The username is XXXX and the password is "XXX" without the quotes. When that user logs in, they are directed to [login to view URL] That is wrong. Instead, they should be directed to [login to view URL] It appears to me that the idea of a "website front end user" and a "Wordpress user" are not properly split. Also, the /calendar/ url is not private, but it should be. I would like to be educated as to how to make new private content.
3. Related to #2: Two menu-system that is set up in Appearance | Menus is clumsy. I don't want to have to manually update both menus when I'm updating part of the menu that is not protected content. Example: I added many "team members" under the "Team" menu in Menu 1, but it appears that I have to do all that work again under Menu 2. This doesn't seem right.
4. On page like /overview/, I would like a gallery slideshow without a huge black space around it—just the picture, rotating. I do NOT want to install some huge gallery manager. My prior website designer had used NextGen Gallery, but it seemed like it was slowing my site down a LOT, so I removed it. Is there a way to use the built-in Wordpress gallery to do what I want?
5. Add "Sign out" item to Members menu when the user is logged in.
6. Explain to me briefly the "theory" or "idea" behind Wordpress. I am fairly technical. A long time ago, I had a collection of php files implement this website. Then I converted it to CMS Made Simple so I could have page templates using Smarty template engine. Now a freelancer developer brought me fully into WordPress but every page is using some custom html, so I will have a hard time changing the site look and feel. It seems I have taken a step backwards. Basically all the pages have a lot of custom html and php on them in the "Text" tab. When you look at things in the "Visual" tab, not everything appears.
I want to make it clear that I do not want to clutter up Wordpress with uncommon and unnecessary plugins. If one plugin can do the job instead of three, that's what I like. If a plugin has 10 reviews and 20 people using it, I'm not interested. I want to use well-developed, well-supported plugins.