What is the group project about?
This assignment may be completed in a group of 3 students or less (you may also work on your own). You will prepare an Excel Workbook based an existing organization or topic of your choice presenting company information and statistics such as:
• human resources
• sales and revenue
• financial analysis and forecasting
• industry data
• sport statistics
How do I do the group project?
The following steps will guide you through the process of doing your group project.
• Form a group of 3 students.
• Brainstorm the organization’s general information such as its goals, structure and function
• Collect relevant data and examine the data
• Design the user interface (the worksheets)
• Develop the worksheets
• Test and debug the completed application
• Submit your work through the Blackboard. The work should be properly referenced (i.e., where are you getting your numbers from?).
• Each worksheet should be “properly formatted” (e.g., clear titles, worksheet tab named, use of dollar signs for currency, etc.)
• The spreadsheet should not be simple recreation of tables/charts found on websites of your subject organization. In other words, you must analyze or summarize the data using tools learned in the class.
Specifications about your workbooks/worksheets
Your workbooks/worksheets will meet the following requirements and your marks will be based primarily on these criteria.
• Include at least 8 worksheets
• Include a documentation/reference worksheet
• Link to a website related to your organization
• Use document header/footer
• Include 3 different type of charts (module 1)
• complex calculations using multiple operations and parentheses (module 2)
• Use AVERAGE, MAX, MIN and COUNT functions (module 2)
• Conditional formatting (module 2)
• Include relative and absolute references (module 3)
• What if analysis (module 3)
• Goal seek (module 3)
• Freeze rows/columns (module 3)
• IF functions (module 3)
• Data table (module 4)
• Use a FINANCIAL FUNCTION, i.e., PV, FV or PMT etc. (module 4)
• Amortization table (module 4)
• Protecting worksheet (module 4)
• Headers and footers (module 5)
• Round functions (module 5)
• 3-D references (module 5)
• Linking workbooks (module 5)
• VLOOKUP functions (module 6)
• Autofilters (module 6)
• Tables (module 6)
• Database functions (module 6)
• Other tools learned in the class.
The more, the merrier!!
Make sure to indicate on the spreadsheet what functions are being used to so that I won’t miss it!
Your worksheets must be substantially different from the worksheets found in-class exercise or MindTap projects. In other words, your spreadsheet must be original.
Resources for financial data
1.[login to view URL]
2.Financial Post Advisor (accessed through GBC Library Website)
3.Organization’s website often has a page called “investors”.
such as [login to view URL]
5.Google finance, Yahoo finance