General information about coursework
The coursework involves an analysis of the coursework dataset using statistical techniques and the preparation of a final report summarising the findings. The coursework constitutes 30% of the total module mark and the examination constitutes the remaining 70%.
Intended learning outcomes
• Apply the techniques of descriptive statistics, estimation and hypothesis testing
• Use Excel for the manipulation, presentation and analysis of data
• Analyse data and write a report
Data relevant to the project is available on Blackboard for EC1009, in the ‘Coursework’ area. It contains data on a labour force participation (MORZ dataset from J. Wooldridge, Introductory Econometrics, Thompson, 2001). The definitions of the variables included in the coursework dataset and the actual data are in separate Excel sheets within the data file.
Report layout and length
There should be an introduction to the report, stating the objectives of the analysis and drawing attention to any particular aspects of the report. The concluding paragraph should summarize the results. Your conclusions have to be supported by appropriate statistical analysis. The main body of the report should contain the details of the analysis (e.g. all the relevant steps in hypothesis testing, formula used in estimation).
The report should not exceed 1,500 words, so be selective in choosing what aspects to investigate.
What to do
Analyse selected information from the coursework dataset and prepare a report on selected determinants of labour force participation, (age, number of children etc). Your analysis should involve statistical techniques such as descriptive statistics, estimation and/or hypothesis testing. For example, you could estimate the average age of a females in the labour market or test if there are differences in husbands wages between those females who participate in the labour market and those that do not.
The analysis should be carried out mostly in Excel but the report has to be produced in Word.