We are working on a new interactive method to help students improve their English oral comprehension skills.
It is an interactive adventure that works on a computer or mobile phone in which the student goes through life-like situations in English and reacts to them according to their understanding.
The adventure goes as follows:
- You are a private investigator and have been recruited to obtain trade secrets and/or crucial information from the US.
- You will receive instructions from an intelligence base about your mission via radio messages.
- You will travel to the US with a false passport and you will have to impersonate various characters (a doctor, journalist, tennis player, musician, etc.)
- And interact with virtual characters to advance in the adventure and extract information
Students will use this learning adventure aspire to get a score in the TOEIC Listening test score of 400 (equivalent to European B2, see [url removed, login to view])
- During "gameplay" the student listens to conversations and indicate actions with the mouse or mobile, but can not speak or type (due to technical limitations)
See the attached image: the student is one of the first scenes in an AIRPORT as s/he lands in the US and is confronted to passport & immigration control:
>> mission briefing via radio<<
(Officer) Hello, can I have your passport?
Options (the user would have to select one of them):
GIVE BOARDING PASS
TELL OFFICER PASSPORT
If you answer "REPEAT QUESTION:
(Officer) OK, again, can I have your passport?
GIVE BOARDING CARD
ANSWER "I AM SPANISH"
Each scene will consist of various interactions to using different vocabulary to make sure student can get to the target score.
Each scene should last ~10 minutes assuming student performs all actions correctly (no repeats).
The deliverable of this project is the whole script including mission briefing, all interactions including utterances (e.g. if student selects REPEAT QUESTION, the officer's tone becomes more and more nuanced). You may also suggest to add extra characters in the interaction (ask before, b/c of technical/resource limitations)
If selected, you will be offered to do scripts for more scenes (we have a lot in mind: airport, mission briefing, sneaking in a medical conference -posing as a doctor-, ... and even possibly getting in the White House!).
It's a learning game but it will be fun! :-)