I am interested in finding a partner to work with for a game idea. I currently already have a very talented group of graphic designers. So now I need a programmer who I can work with closely, and most importantly, that I can trust. This is a learning process for me as well so I wish to take part in the more robotic tasks of the development, to not only offset the cost of the entire project but in taking a hands on approach with my game.
I want the game to be coded in Torque because it is fast, user friendly (i.e. idiot friendly for my benefit), quite scaleable and our design can be implemented quite quickly. I envision the game will be launched in a very early pre-alpha stage within one month of this project bid being awarded. We are interested in going to a closed beta by the end of this year. And hopefully expand to an open beta by the end of Q1 2010. It will be a 2d, top down view, multiplayer (up to 60 simultaneous connections, scalable to higher amounts), space based, arcade game with some strategy and role-playing elements.
The proposed revenue stream will come from a subscription based premium type service.
I ask that all of you who are willing to bid on the project please reply to ALL the following questions in a PMB. Please excuse the length of it all, but its also a way to ensure that only those that are truly interested will bid on the project, and will minimize any to and fro messaging.
IF YOU DO NOT ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS FULLY – YOUR BID WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED – consider it an informal interview
1. What are your previous experiences in game design – please detail previous languages, finished programs, current and past projects?
2. What is your experience with the Torque 2d Game Engine – how familiar are you with the engine, especially any past experiences with the engine?
3. What is your experience working with the networking component of game design?
4. Do you have full and legal access to the game design tools you wish to access – or will you require those tools to be purchased?
5. VERY IMPORTANT: Please describe your ideal working situation on this project where you and I are working together – be honest, because if you just tell me what you think I want to hear, we will both end up being very unhappy and a very short relationship.
6. Please describe previous experiences working in a team
7. Where are you located?
8. How would you rate your English language capability out of 10. I only ask this, because sadly, this is the only language I can effectively communicate in.
9. How many hours a day can you devote to this project – I am not looking for a massive commitment here – this is mainly for budgetary purposes
10. What is your expected $/hour?
11. Please tell me if you will agree to all the following conditions – if you have any reservations please state so and why (some of the points below are negotiable):
a. You will be willing to act confidentially, in a purposeful, courteous and professional manner.
b. You will be reasonably available and open to all communication.
c. You are prepared to have no rights to the actual code that you create, and are instead happy to be given a set pay for your work.
d. If our relationship does end, you will not use your work to embark on a similar project within three months of your leaving.
e. You will be prepared to share tasks associated with the programming.
f. You are willing to have a little fun and be a little patient with someone who will be very grateful for the time you are spending trying to teach them something.
g. You will carefully read this entire posting before bidding and ensure that you comply WITH ALL CRITERIA before bidding.
PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT INTERESTED IN WORKING WITH A COMPANY OR LARGE GROUP OF CODERS.
>>>>>>>>THIS IS GOING TO BE A REASONABLE PARTNERSHIP WITH A SMALL GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS OR IDEALLY ONE INDIVIDUAL. DO NOT BID YOU DO NOT FIT THIS CRITERIA. <<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>I AM ESPECIALLY INTERESTED IN LONE FREELANCERS.<<<<<<<<<<<< And would be happy to combine a number of you into a group if our needs dictate so. But I really do not wish to work with a large scale enterprise.
I also ask that you respond to any pms I send you on GAF, promptly and efficiently. Failure to do so, would be an indication that you are not going to be able to comply with the communication requirements.
You will be paid by the hour at the end of every week via Paypal. You will also be given an assigned budget for that week and must stick to that budget - of course that budget will be created with your input. We can even split the project up into mini projects and post them on [url removed, login to view] - so you can receive additional feedback for any good work that you have done.
It is also fair that you know that my resources are meager and that is why I am forced to keep this in the medium project category for now and am willing to contribute in whatever way you can use me.
Please bear in mind that as we proceed along in our relationship, we could change the system from pure hour based salary to one where you receive some gross % of the profits associated with the game.
Thank you all for your patience and consideration in reading through this rather long posting. I do hope to hear from some of you soon! Please do not hesitate to post any questions on the project clarification board or PM me.
FOR YOU BID AMOUNT PLEASE JUST BID YOUR HOURLY RATE - WE WILL THEN BE ABLE TO GO FROM THERE AND CREATE NEW PROJECTS OF THE ACTUAL GAME FOR YOU TO WORK ON WITH ACTUAL TOTALS.