A methanol (A)-water (B) solution containing 45 mol% methanol is to be continuously rectified at 1 atm pressure at a rate of 300 kmol/h (60.22 molls) to provide a distillate containing 98.0 mol% methanol and a residue containing 0.5 mol% methanol. The feed to the column is to be preheated to its bubble point. The distillate is to be totally condensed and the reflux returned at the bubble point. A reflux ratio of 1.4 times the minimum will be used.
Perform the following tasks
1. Estimate the bubble point temperature of the feed under the following assumptions
a. Ideal liquid and vapor phases
b. Ideal vapor phase and non-ideal liquid phase- use NRTL model for the liquid phase
2. Generate the VLE data of methanol-water and compare your results with experimental data. Show Average absolute error of the experimental data.
3. Estimate the number of trays and the feed location tray using the McCabe-Thiele graphical method assume the feed is at its boiling point
4. Estimate the number of trays under the condition of feed temperature of 25 oC.
5. Use ASPEN Plus simulator to find the number of trays using the models presented in ASPEN.
Present your work in a report showing detailed calculation results in table and figure formats. List all properties before performing the calculations and list all assumptions. Show references and data sources.
Hi, im a chemical engineer student, with experience in Mass transfer/separatations and simulation using Aspen Plus software. Please contact me for further details.