E-prescribing - a prescriber's ability to electronically send an accurate, error-free and understandable prescription directly to a pharmacy from the point-of-care - is an important element in improving the quality of patient care.
The foundation standards cover:
A) Formulary and benefit information
B) Prior authorization
C) Medication history
D) Structured and codified SIG
1) Transactions between prescribers (who write prescriptions) and dispensers (who fill prescriptions) for new prescriptions;
2) refill requests and responses;
3) prescription change requests and responses;
4) prescription cancellation, request and response;
5) related messaging and administrative transactions;
6) Eligibility and benefits queries and responses between prescribers and Part D sponsors;
7) Eligibility queries between dispensers and Part D sponsors.