Interested in telling a unique story about the lives of tailors and garment workers in India and the health workers who help to provide them clear vision and sharp eyesight—in some cases, for the first time in their lives?
VisionSpring, an international social enterprise, seeks an active freelance writer/journalist to write about workers and eyecare in the garment and tailoring industries. Specifically, the journalist will cover VisionSpring’s India’s program- Clear Vision Workplaces (CVW), which will screen garment workers. The campaign has the potential to benefit thousands of workers, increase productivity of the workplace and improve quality of the output
The journalist will be responsible for creating a series of articles/essays about the two programs, using writing to craft a meaningful story about the personal lives of the tailors and garment workers as they undergo vision screening and, in many cases, receive their first-ever pair of glasses.
• Conduct interviews with VisionSpring staff, health workers, tailors, and garment workers organizing and/or Clear Vision Workplaces (CVW) programs.
• Take notes during interviews and travel.
• Draft 3 pieces in English from your own perspective; including at least 2 long-form articles (1.5k-2k words) and 1 blog post (600 words) for RGIL and CVW each.
• Share all notes/raw written material in English.
• Must be current freelance journalist/writer.
• Must have own network to place article in Business press publications and other sectoral publications.
• Must have excellent written English.
• Experience writing newspaper, magazine, and/or online articles for general readership in English.
• Experience and comfort interviewing individuals one-on-one and in groups.
• Ability to travel.
• Independent, self-starter attitude and innate interest in individuals and their lives.