Historical Research Assignment
Research Report #1
Due: Tuesday, Feb. 6, in class
As you know, for this assignment, you will engage in primary historical research. Be sure to visit the other
handout (on Moodle) for a more extended discussion of the assignment.
For your first report, I am giving you a specific task: choose a single day (your birthday) for any year-- or years--
between 1820-65 and find out what was being discussed in newspapers and journals on that date. (I provided you
with a list of sources on the first handout.)
Again, just to be absolutely clear: your sources for this report and for the assignment as a whole must be
from the years 1820-65.
Now, here are the specific parameters for the report:
1. You should look in a minimum of 3 different newspapers or journals (these can all be from APS, but they don’t
need to be).
2. Describe to me in your report: where you looked and what you found.
3. Demonstrate some intellectual engagement with what you’ve found. What was interesting to you and why?
What did you encounter that piqued your curiosity? What that you found might you like to learn more about?
4. Have fun!
Length? Oh, I don’t know. A couple of pages or so, 2-3; take the space you need.
I found three articles you may be able to work with
1. [url removed, login to view] (about Uncle Tom's Cabin)
2. [url removed, login to view] (about Dred)
3. [url removed, login to view] (about Aunt Phillis's Cabin)
Maybe you can do a compare contrast between all three books or maybe just between Aunt Phillis's and Uncle Tom's and find another article or pick competely different articles.