2018-01-24: Build a simple Website
- Tila: Closed
- Palkinto: $650
- Vastaanotetut työt: 9
- Voittaja: andyfazle
We are a small company (4 employees) and we only use our website ([login to view URL]) as a placeholder or business card, if you wish. In fact, we have very few hits per month and that is acceptable to us as our business does not use the web to market itself. That is why we have never really spent time or money on our website, nor do we intend to do so.
However, now that our 5-year hosting package has expired with a very high cost of renewal, and now that there are free small hosting packages available (such as Google, Wordpress, etc.), we have come to the realization that now is a good time to go to a free hosting solution and to have the following features/capabilities added to our website:
1. a better "look and feel" that is more in line with the times complete with: support for mobile devices, easy icons to click and link with social media, easy addition of pictures of employees and projects, etc. (note: yes, our website is 15 years old but we don't need more visibility - we just need a presence to reassure our clients of our existence)
2. Free hosting with no advertising (note: we are willing to pay for the template if it's worth it but less than 100 hits a month is not something that we want to invest that much in as our business does not work based on visibility)
3. native English/French support (presently, we have 2 sets of pages as these date back to the technologies available when originally developed)
4. easy editing by any of the employees: presently, I only update the site once a year or so with Filezilla because it is time consuming and not much fun to do with all the HTML codes to put in. I've looked at Wordpress and noticed that it was much easier to do nowadays so we're looking for a non-proprietary easy updating mechanism. (note: we went with third party software 15 years ago using "Contribute", as that was the norm back then, but buying software to use once a year is not useful and we will not do that again)
5. a news page with easy editing as ours is as boring as you can get it because it is so "unfriendly" to update ([login to view URL]), preferably organized in a timeline. The new version of the timeline/news must automatically publish updates on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
6. Support for analytics like Google's or Wordpress's Jetpack
7. Easy engine update and site back-up process
8. Any other idea that you propose and that has value to a niche consulting firm (submit extra costs if any)
Other than the above, everything else is pretty much static on our pages but we are open to any idea. The way to work will be simple:
A. Submit sample ideas with your proposal as we will choose the one we prefer (not necessarily the lowest cost)
B. All communications to be done via email: I'll be there almost in real-time as I am in the office so all you need to do is send me links where you want me to set-up user accounts and/or pay for stuff (if required), answering questions, adding text, picture files, comments from people, etc.
C. Use the texts from the existing website (but not the structure as you are free to propose anything you like)
D. Take care of everything: development, submitting the website for approval in a functional test environment, testing the website and updating it per comments from GAC, final publishing of the website and sending it to search engines (Google and Bing at a minimum)
“Andy was very patient and very good at understanding our needs and wants and finding the right simple tools for what we wanted to accomplish. Highly recommended.”