Bike-Sharing System App
- Tila: Closed
- Palkinto: $100
- Vastaanotetut työt: 21
- Voittaja: kriss1897
TL;DR: This contest is about designing a single screen for an app. Skip to "contest."
** Introduction **
Santiago runs a public bicycle system. Bikes are stored on public stations like this one: [login to view URL] There are more than 150 stations all over the city. To rent a bike, you simply go to one of these stations and choose a bike. Depending on your subscription type, you have between 30 minutes and one hour to return the bike. You may return it to whichever station you want.
As a user of the bike scheme, the following are some of the most common problems you come across:
- If you are a newbie, you may not know where the nearest stations are.
- Finding a station when you are pedaling to a place you are not familiar with may be difficult.
- You are looking for a bike but the station you went to is empty. In this case, you can either wait for someone to return a bike or walk to another station --fingers crossed.
- You want to return a bike but the station you went to is full. In this case, you have to run to another station before the time runs out.
Gladly, the company running the scheme has lunched an app. You can find it here: [login to view URL] Sadly, the app is very difficult to use.
** Contest **
We want to design a better (simpler) app to address the most common problems of the bike-sharing system. What we have in mind is an app with two screens. 1) A screen with "quick information" and 2) a map with all the stations.
This contest is about the UX and graphic design of the first screen only. What we look for is simplicity and the fewest clicks possible.
The first screen must support the following features:
1. List of nearest stations from user.
2. List of favorite stations (saved by the user)
3. Remove favorite station
4. Refresh information (i.e., nearest stations list)
5. Moving to the second screen (map)
6. Reordering favorites. Depending on the length of the favorite list you propose, the user *may* need to reorder the items of this list. This is up to you.
** Deliverables **
a. Screen diagrams showing all the features.
b. The same screen diagrams, annotated (i.e. "when clicking here this list pops up," "if you swipe this icon, this button appears," etc.)
c. Bonus: if you include all PNGs for the screen app, you will be given an extra star
** Available information **
We have a database of stations with the following information:
- Station Name (usually a couple of words of 15 characters in total)
- Station Street (usually the same as the Name)
- Station Coordinates
- Station Capacity
We also have a webservice to query the following information in real time on a per station basis:
- Empty docks
- Bikes available
Given that this app runs on a phone, we also have access to:
- User coordinates
- Distance between the user and each station
** Further information and rules **
- The app will require no signing up / logging in
- The map screen is outside of the scope of this contest
- The map screen will support adding a station to the favorites. This doesn't mean you shouldn't support adding a favorite from the first screen.
- The app will support no social features (i.e. comments, chat, facebook likes, gamification, sharing photos, etc.)
- The app will have the same features and the same look & feel on all smartphones. (To the degree supported by each phone.)
- We will award the contest to a design with 4 or 5 stars.
- The contest will not be sealed. We will comment on the entries as fast as we can, and at least once a day.
- We will comment all the entries, and you are encouraged to look at comments given to others.
“Kriss did a good job and delivered everything as expected. He's good to work with.”