The importance of blogging to freelancers or business owners can never be overemphasized. Through blogging, you attract visitors to your site, they become acquainted with you and can make enquiries about the services you offer.
A lot of people have started highly successful businesses through their blog. Just check out this inspiring story. Many businesses would have been a total disaster without a blog to anchor them, and many clients prefer to hire designers with blogs. This is because a blog has can win a client’s trust, as they get to see what you are up to and take a look at your work.
To summarize the importance of blog posts, here is what they can do for you:
Get potential clients to your website.
Make you a highly sought-after designer in your niche.
Show off what you are up to, and demonstrate your work.
As a designer, you might be wondering what you should blog about. Most blog posts in design niches are about money, business and marketing. Do you often feel the need to blog about that? You don't need to go in that direction.
You need to blog about whatever you sell. If you are selling products or courses, coaching people on how to grow their business and generate more money, that is exactly what you should blog about. Don’t waste time talking about something irrelevant to your work.
Since you are designer, your main intent is to sell design services. That means you should direct your effort into blogging about those services. Your post needs to attract potential clients who are keen on investing in design, so this is what your posts should cover:
Let your potential clients know why it's in their interest to invest in design, and the positive effect it will have on their business.
Why you are the right designer for them.
What they need before spending money on a designer.
It could take you a long time brainstorming blog posts, so we have put together a list for you. These posts are centered around your expertise, skills and services.
NOTE: You will see that some of our blog ideas appear in this format:
"** reasons why you need to switch from ***** to Wordpress."
All you need to do is replace the asterisks with words or numbers to customize the idea, and make it appropriate for you, your business and your desired clients.
For example, the above blog post idea could become "15 reasons why you need to switch from Blogger to Wordpress."
1. All the steps taken in my design process
2. My design client homework: Behind the scenes
3. How design revision works: Behind the scenes
4. 10* Things I need from you before I can design your websites
5. 10* Questions you should ask yourself before choosing your final design
6. 10* Tips to provide your designer with insightful feedback
7. 10* Things to ask your designer before commencement of a project
8. 10* Reasons why you should invest in blog designers
9. 10* Reasons why should invest in creating a new design for your website
10. 10* Questions to ask designers on a free consult call
11. The importance of design deadlines
12. 10* Signs of a professional designer
13. Should you hire a designer and a developer?
14. Case study [display your work to client]
15. Video case study [interview client about their new design]
16. 10* Steps to take when your designer finds it difficult to understand your needs
17. 10* Questions to ask your designer after completing your project
18. How to use project management tools with your designer
19. Why I use project management tools with my design client
20. How to give feedback to designers in an effective way
21. 10* Reasons why you need a professional logo
22. 10* Why you should avoid a DIY logo
23. 10* Logo design trends to stay away from this year
24. 10* Factors to creating the perfect logo
25. How to select the best logo designer
26. What is branding?
27. Why is branding so important?
28. 10* places to utilize your new logo design
29. How to discover your signature brand style
30. 10* Color personalities and how to select yours
31. Your brand speaks more than your logo
32. When should I rebrand?
33. Should you rebrand?
34. 10* Signs that indicate you should rebrand
35. What does it mean to rebrand?
36. The final breakdown of file types
37. Why a pre-made logo isn't the best choice for your business
38. 10* color palettes you can copy [include the color palettes and codes]
39. 10* Things [choose software] can teach you about design
40. Why a high quality logo design doesn't need to cost $100
41. How to get started on Wordpress
42. Why I prefer Wordpress for website design
43. Why you need to build your website on Wordpress
44. How to use Wordpress even if you are not tech-savvy
45. 10* Wordpress plugins all [select audience] need
46. Why Wordpress is way better than Squarespace
47. Why I use Squarespace to design websites
48. How to get started on Squarespace
49. The ** best templates for *****
50. How to use the [select feature] feature in Squarespace
51. Why Squarespace is the best site builder for *****
52. Why Squarespace is way better than Wordpress
53. The difference between a developer and designer
54. The difference between CSS and HTML
55. 10* Reasons why should stay away from code if you are not sure what you’re doing
56. 10* Questions to ask your website developer before hiring him
57. What is the meaning of bounce rate?
58. 10* Quick website changes that make a huge difference to your bounce rate
59. 10* Amazing ways a professional website will help to grow your business
60. The ins and outs of Google Analytics
61. 10* Essential sidebar widgets for *****
62. How to use your website to create a lasting impression on your audience
63. The ultimate comparison: Wix, Squarespace and Wordpress
64. How to use Google Analytics to transform your website into a conversion machine
65. The first ** things your potential audience want to see when they reach your website
66. The anatomy of an excellent sales page
67. 10* features your blog should have
68. 10* features your homepage should have
69. 10* features your contact page should have
70. 10* features your about page should have
71. 10* things your customers need to see on your website before making any purchase
Looking for a Designer
72. How long does it take to design a website?
73. How long does it take to design a logo?
74. How long does it take to rebrand?
75. How much money should you invest on a website design?
76. How much money should you invest on logo design?
77. How much money should you invest on rebrand?
78. The most important quality to check out in a designer
79. What is the first thing to invest in? A website design or logo design?
80. How to get the best from a designer
81. 10* ways to work together with your designer
82. Why you should invest in newsletter design
83. Why you need to hire a design expert
84. 10* things to consider before signing your designer's contract
85. Should I go for a one-stop shop designer?
Things needed by your clients to make their website amazing
86. The importance of your website copy
87. Where to get an amazing copywriter
88. How to write awesome website copy
89. 10* Types of images your designer will request for your website
90. The ultimate guide to web hosting
91. Comparison guide for web hosting: Dreamhost vs Bluehost
92. Comparison guide for web hosting: Flywheel vs Blue host
93. 10* Reasons why I recommend Flywheel for my clients for hosting their websites
94. Why you should pay proper attention to your website photos
95. 10* places to get high quality photos for your website
96. 10* places to hire a high-quality designer
97. 10* Qualities to check out in a web designer
98. Is it necessary to invest in design? Check out ** reasons why you should do so
99. Do you need to hire a designer before commencing with your business?
100. 10* Tips to remember when searching for a designer
So there’s our list of 100 brilliant blog post ideas for your design business! Can you think of any others? Share them with us by dropping them in the comment box below!